Exmouth Stamp Club was founded in 1939.
At the first meeting on 18th April 1939, twelve members joined at an annual subscription of 2 shillings and 6 pence but by June of that year the subscription had risen to 5 shillings per member, with life membership at 2 guineas. It’s not clear what led to such a significant increase.
The war brought some problems but like the Windmill Theatre the Stamp Club continued its meetings. Sadly one founder member, Mr. R. W. Holloway, lost his life on H.M.S. Courageous. His son Grahame Holloway was elected an Honorary Life Member in memory of his father.
The Club met at Clapps Cafe which was used for the first dinner and exhibition. A charge being made of 2 shillings/6 pence for Seniors and 1 shilling for Juniors.
By the end of the second year, Exmouth Stamp Club had 50 Senior and 23 Junior Members. Members serving in H.M. Forces automatically became Honorary Members for the duration of hostilities. The Club raised money for the Red Cross by selling philatelic material and some stamps were sold for as much as 1 shilling per 1000 stamps!! Other fund raising from the Club helped to support the Exmouth Hospital.
That takes us to 1940 and the gap to today is a big one! Exmouth Stamp Club is still going strong with a good number of members interested in all areas of philately.